Saturday 10 September 2011

...And the paper's made out of WHAT??

I was invited out by my supervisor to do some shopping and sightseeing around Regina.  We had a lot of fun touring around to some of the big box stores so I could get a toaster oven and some much-needed household supplies, and we also drove around the downtown core so I could get my bearings.  Regina's not exactly a large, bustling metropolis but there seem to be enough parks, coffee shops and ethnic food shops/restaurants to keep me busy for a good long while.  

We also made the trek out to Lumsden, a beautiful little town about 20 minutes out of Regina on the highway towards Saskatoon.  We'd chatted about it at work on Friday, and thought it might be nice to drive out and prove that Saskatchewan isn't all wheat fields and stretches of nothing (which is contrary to what most people in Ontario think - it's not all like Dog River out here...)   The Lumsden area actually reminded me a lot of southwestern Ontario with the trees and hills and such.  I think it's safe to say that small-town Canada is, by-and-large, pretty similar. 

Downtown Lumsden.
Seven Bridges Road out to Lumsden - farms and hills as far as the eye can see.

Got some lovely knick-knacks while in Lumsden - a really cute, reusable, giraffe-covered sandwich bag for work; some jam made from Saskatoon berries (which taste remarkably like a cross between a blueberry and a raspberry); and some adorable paper notecards made from recycled elephant poop.  Jaleh, I am SOOOO sending you one of these in the mail!  :)

Definitely got home exhausted (pooped? Hahaha!), but had a great day out nonetheless.  Next week on the agenda: figuring out the bus system so I can get back to where the Value Village is...

2 comments:

  1. haha...its soo funny to hear the reverse of what ive been talking about for the last year (comparing ON to the Prairies!)!

    May-Lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, yeah I'll bet! I hope you're having as much fun out east as I am out west!! :)

    ReplyDelete