Tuesday 6 September 2011

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go...

And so ends my first official day of internship at the Royal Saskatchewan Museum!  How was it, you say?  Well, it was dandy and I am exhausted.

My days are 8:30 - 5:30, with the possibility of a flex day off every other week. (Sweet.) I have a vacant office for use while I'm here, and I'm so lucky that it has two windows that overlook the street and the museum.  The conservation lab is not in the museum proper, but rather in a heritage building across the street called the Annex.  The building is where the first SaskTel headquarters were located (the first telephone company in Saskatchewan, circa early 1900's).  I got the full backstage tour of the museum and the annex today, and I got to meet some very nice people. I hope someday to actually remember some of their names too!  :) 

In terms of projects, I have a major one involving a decorated war veteran who was shot, hit by shrapnel, developed trench-foot, saved a bunch of his fellow soldiers by head-butting them into a trench before a bomb went off, and was very nearly court-martialled for being a traitor and spy, all during the first World War.

Oh, and he's a goat.

He goes by the name of Sergeant Bill, he needs some serious TLC to get him back into fighting shape, and working on him is going to be one of the coolest projects EVER.

1 comment:

  1. Your job (and office!) sound so cool. :)

    ReplyDelete