Wednesday 7 September 2011

More Regina Fun Facts

I had a great time exploring today and seeing some of the Regina sights.  Here's what I learned:

-  The Saskatchewan Legislative Building, or "the Ledge", was designed by Sutherland Maxwell.  Yes, you read that right.  Once you've seen it, you'll understand why I call it 'practice' for the Shrine of the Bab in Haifa.  VERY cool.


-  The Wascana Centre forms one loooooooong park, larger than Central Park in New York.  Apparently I can walk all the way from the south end of the city and the University of Regina campus through to right across from my doorstep on the other end of Les Sherman Park.  It's all connected, and it spans most of the southern end of the city.
- Wascana Lake is man-made, a project carried out by the city of Regina to help create jobs during the Depression in the 1930's.
 - The longest bridge over the shortest span of water is in Regina - the Albert Memorial Bridge along part of the western side of the Wascana Centre area.  Don't ask for measurements, I couldn't tell you.  But it is a very long bridge over a very small dam.


And, to cap off my day, I learned that I really enjoy Korean bulgogi (traditional Korean sesame steak).  Sweet and spicy beef...mmmmmm...such utter deliciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment